Hi everyone, I hope you are all doing well! As it is once again Friday, it is time for another Let’s Talk Bookish edition. Let’s Talk Bookish is a weekly meme hosted by Rukky @ Eternity Books and Dani @ Literary Lion. This weeks topic is all about reading slumps and how to get out of them!
I feel like that because I have just come out of a reading slump myself, I am in a good position to give some advice on how you can try and pull yourself out of it. My reading slump came out a sense that I was almost being forced to read to keep myself on a review schedule, and I had just lost some of the enjoyment. I was also coming up to a hectic period with University, which took away most of the time that I could dedicate to reading. Thankfully I have come out on the other side now and am back loving reading once again.
Sometimes you just don’t want to read anymore, how do you get back into it?
I tend to find I can get back into reading by giving in to what my brain wants to do: watching TV, playing Animal Crossing, or just lying and staring at a wall. I always find that if I do that, I will eventually cycle back to wanting to read, which is the ultimate aim. If I really need to get back into reading, I will try by picking up something entirely different from the book that probably put me into a slump, so if it was a fantasy, I would pick up a contemporary/romance and vice versa.
Advice for getting back to reading after a reading slump
- Give into what your body/brain wants to do
- Try something completely different to what you were originally reading
- Try something short (Be that a graphic novel or Manga if that is something you like)
- Move to a different room/location to read
- Reread an old favourite that you have been meaning to read for months
- Talk to some friends and see if anyone wants to do a buddy read/group read of a book you’ve been meaning to
Fingers crossed some of these tips help you if you are in a reading slump! Let me know how it goes!